From Vegan Under Pressure by Jill Nussinow
- cup onion or leek
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cups arborio (or carnaroli) rice
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice or vinegar, or sprinkle of grated soy cheese, optional.
- Heat a stovetop pressure cooker over medium heat
or set an electric cooker to sauté. Add the onion
and sauté for 1 minute (adding a little water if needed).
Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Stir in the rice.
- Add 3 cups stock to the cooker. Lock on the lid.
Bring to high pressure; cook for 5 minutes. Quick release
the pressure by turning the pressure valve in short bursts
so that the liquid doesn't come spewing out. Carefully remove
the lid, tilting it away from you.
- Stir in more stock if needed to get the consistency
as creamy as you want it. Season with salt and pepper,
and add lemon juice, vinegar, and/or soy cheese, if you like.
Winter Squash and Kale Risotto
Add 1 cup diced peeled winter squash after adding the rice.
Add 2 to 3 cups thinly sliced kale after opening the lid.
Stir and lock the lid back on and let sit for 3 minutes.
When you open the cooker, add 1 tablespoon of grated lemon zest.