Tanya's Lentil Loaf
(adapted from Dreena Burton's No-Fu Love Loaf;
see her cookbook Let Them Eat Vegan
or her website plantpoweredkitchen.com
for the original version)
makes 2 loaves; serves 10-12; or makes 24 muffins
In a 6 qt. saucepan, combine:
Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low.
Cover and let cook 25-30 minutes.
- 1 cup brown (green) lentils, the big ones
- 2 and cup water
- 1-2 vegan bouillon cubes or 1 heaping tsp. organic
Better than Bouillon vegetable base
- 1-2 dried bay leaves
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375° F.
Line 2 glass baking dishes (about 8x4, bread pan size) with parchment paper.
OR prepare 24 muffin liners.
Once the lentils are done, add to the pot:
Cook on medium-low for another 8-9 minutes.
- 1 cups bulgur [or steel cut oats]
- 2 cups water, boiled.
Once the bulgur is cooked, remove the bay leaf and add:
Optional: can also add other vegetables
or seasonings, such as
- 2 cups rolled oats
- cup nutritional yeast flakes
- cup flax meal, ground [or chia seeds]
- cup tahini
- tsp. dried thyme
to 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
cup natural ketchup (see recipe)
cup Bragg's aminos [or tamari or soy sauce]
- 1 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 2 stalks finely chopped celery
- 2 finely chopped carrots
The mixture will be quite thick.
Stir very well.
- 1 c chopped dried string beans
- 1 T ground dried celery leaves
- 2-4 ancho peppers, ground
For loaves: Pack into prepared baking dishes.
Cover and bake 25-28 minutes.
Uncover and bake another 7-8 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand another
10-15 minutes or so before slicing.
For muffins: spoon into muffin liners and cook 30 minutes uncovered
For no-meat balls, form into balls, cook 20 minutes.
[optional: cover with vegan barbecue sauce or ketchup before baking; or serve with natural ketchup, vegan rosemary gravy, or mushroom gravy]
Stir together. Store in refrigerator.
Keeps at least a week or two.
- one 6-8 oz can of tomato paste
- cup water
- 1 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Bragg's aminos (or tamari)