Blueberry Oat Millet Muffins
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped (about 1-1/2 cups or 8 ounces)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1-1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup millet
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, packed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen, do not thaw first)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
Original source: Blueberry Oat Millet Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, cover the chopped dates with the non-dairy milk and set aside (so the dates may soften).
- Grind oats and millet into a flour in your blender (a high-speed blender will do a finer job) and place into a mixing bowl. Add the baking powder and cardamom to this and stir with a fork.
- Place the dates and non-dairy milk into a blender and blend until smooth. Add this date mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients along with the applesauce and lemon zest, and mix with a spoon until all the dry ingredients have disappeared.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and chopped walnuts. Spoon the batter into a silicone muffin pan (see photo below) or parchment muffin papers in a metal pan, filling each muffin cup about 3/4 full. (Since the batter has no oil, I have found that regular cupcake papers tend to stick to the muffins).
- Bake for 30 minutes. The muffins will be done when the tops have begun to brown and cracks appear, and when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for at least 15 to 20 minutes before removing.